Can we age with healthy bodies n mind?
What is healthy ageing?
Ageing is something that is inevitable to everyone. Life is evolving every day. When we don’t keep up with the changing pace of life, it is then , the problems start to arise. To age well, is to live with good mobility, flexibility, mind -body sync and love. These days, dementia, schizophrenia are becomung a norm with the ageing population worlwide. So, what is at the core of healthy ageing? If you havent guessed it , it is a good digestive system..
Influencing healthy ageing through well planned strategy
Although our genes and environment play a signifivant role in the way we age, there is enough scope for improvement. Few symptoms associated with ageing are:
- Slowing metabolism
- Muscle loss
- nervous disorders
- Dry skin and hair
- Loss of balance & coordination
This is not an exhaustive list and symptoms may vary across cultures, countries and even sexes. But by and large, the symptoms remain in this spectrum with varying degrees of serousness. There are lot of factors tht decide ageing, I am talinkg about the role of having a good digestive system in this article.
What is the plan of action for healthy ageing
By healthy ageing I mean the years of our life where we live disease free, physically & mmentally. Also, when we can contribute to the society with our experience, knowledge & give back to the world at large is a good life lived.
According to Ayurveda, all diseases begin in the gut and rightly so. As we climb the ladder of life, we have to keep monotring what is on our plate on a daily basis. We are not just what we eat, but what we digest and how we eliminate. Eating processed foods, simple carbohydrates, caffeine, substance use, smoking, lack of good hydration play a significant role in our dugestion.
Eating a largely plant based diet can take care of lots of issues arising from poor digestion. Let us list down a few here:
- Eating Organic fruits and vegetables on a regular basis keeps the gut healthy
- The fiber in plant based foods creates the perfect environment for the microbes to flourish in the gut
- Gut microbes are the key to a good digestion.
- The anti oxidants present in whole foods plant based diet keep inflammation in check.
- Inflammation is a major cause of all pains and aches in old age. This can be managed by eating fruits like pomegranates, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries.
- Proteins is another major factor to be considered while planning your healrhy ageing.
- But not animal proteins, rather plant based proteins like kidney beans, butter beans, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, tofu….
- Proper hydration with good quality filtered water, alkaline water, green teas, herbal teas kee the gut healthy
I get very pissed when I hear old people cribbing about their health all the time. One thing we will have to understand is that whatever happens to us is all our doing. If we decided to live with the wrong notions about health, vitality and longevity, then its our problem. There are still places in the world where people are living beyond 100 years of age with health & enthusiasm! so, its possible.
AGEING IS AN EXTRAORDINARY PROCESS WHERE YOU BECOME THE PERSON YOU ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN